THE USS PROVIDENCE CLG-6
PROVIDENCE'S career as a light cruiser ended in 1949 when she was placed out of commission, in reserve, with an eye to the future.
Her conversion to CLG-6 began at Boston Naval Shipyard in June 1957 and she was recommissioned on September 1959.
|During her conversion she was equipped with the "TERRIER" Guided Missile System and her superstructure was enlarged to provide facilities for a fleet commander and his staff.|
|PROVIDENCE participated in her first WESTPAC tour in 1962-1964.|